2017 Staff at the 56th Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition, Photo by Andrew Williamson
Operations & Logistics Manager
(Posted January 25, 2018)
Contract Position: February 15 – August 31, 2018
We are looking for a dynamic and self-directed Operations & Logistics Manager to manage the production of the 2018 Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition, showcasing works of over 340 contemporary artists in the open air at Nathan Phillips Square, on July 6-8, 2018.
You will be responsible for the quick build and strike of the exhibition while ensuring that permits, procurement, work plans, and tasks are carried out effectively, efficiently, on schedule, and on budget. You will be responsible to ensure all infrastructure and production needs of the exhibition are met.
We are a small not-for-profit art organization delivering a large-scale, demanding and fast-paced event with very modest resources. We always do more with less. Therefore, we need you to be resourceful, autonomous and have great agility and mental flexibility.
If you are an energetic individual with a yes-let’s-get-it-done attitude, a healthy dose of humour and exceptional event and festival planning skills, we want you to join our small-but-mighty team!
Permitting & Operations
- Apply for and obtain all necessary permits and licenses from City of Toronto, Parks and Recreation Department, Toronto Fire, EMS, Traffic Services, Waste Management, TTC, Public Health, and others
- Secure all necessary venues and parking space required for the exhibition
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all relevant city departments and services and ensure compliance with the regulations set by them
- Create and manage the exhibition production schedule
- Develop the site plan for the exhibition
- Assign artist exhibitor booth locations
- Develop a load-in and load-out plan for artist exhibitors
- Manage the Art Now installations and performance program
- Oversee and produce all necessary exhibition signage
- Manage the timely set-up and strike of the exhibition, including clean-up of the exhibition venue
- Work directly with the Volunteer Coordinator to create, recruit, and manage relevant volunteer positions
- Work with staff to plan and execute our launch event, Awards Ceremony and Beer Garden
- Be on-site during the exhibition at all times while work is being completed
- Prepare a post-exhibition report detailing successes, challenges, and suggestions
Procurement & Vendors
- Manage procurements to secure required supplies in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Manage the exhibition production budget under the direction of the Executive Director
- Solicit and secure necessary in-kind sponsorships, including but not limited to, hotels, tent suppliers, event suppliers, printing supplies, and transportation/vehicle suppliers
- Solicit and secure food vendors
- Manage all sponsor booth activations
- Oversee contractors and vendors to ensure all contractual obligations are met
- Prepare budget and logistical reports for the Executive Director
- Keep detailed records of all activities and maintain suppliers’ files
Other duties that arise or as assigned.
- Post-secondary degree in production/live-event management or/and minimum 5 years of experience in event planning with a preference for outdoor festivals or events
- Excellent mediation/mentoring, collaboration, and negotiation skills
- Experience and knowledge of city regulations, departments, and services
- Experience working with street vendors and licensed venue is a strong asset
- Must be physically able to lift, move, twist, and bend while carrying up to 50lbs
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- High attention to detail
The Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter attached as a PDF by email only to [email protected]
PLEASE USE THE SUBJECT LINE: Application: Operations & Logistics Manager